Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
- IB Biology IV (Mrs. Bidwell) - There is a test on H1, H5, and H6.
- IB Spanish IV (Señor Alemañy) - Have the group oral presentations completed.
- IB Theory of Knowledge (Mr. Butcher) - Perception Quiz, covering Chapter 4, the Perception PowerPoint, and the Beau Lotto TED Talk.
Monday, September 27, 2010
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Saturday, September 25, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
Sunday, September 19, 2010
1. Describe/list the levels of being depicted in the allegory. How might they correspond to stages in our life?
2. Does the use of words such as “chained prisoners,” “shadows,” “fire,” or “light” have implications or suggest ideas beyond their simple definitions?
3. How does Plato seem to define knowledge and its acquisition?
4. What levels of knowledge are described? How might these parallel stages in our life?
5. Why does the man have to be dragged out of the cave?
6. Why does the man return?
7. What is the relationship of the allegory to Plato’s Theory of Forms?
Saturday, September 18, 2010
- IB English IV (Mrs. Peteranecz) - Bring in a college essay of your choice to class for editing.
- IB Theory of Knowledge (Mr. Butcher) - The questions corresponding with "Plato's Allegory of the Cave" are due.
- IB Further Math (Mr. Bobbitt) - There is a test covering up to C and D in Option 8.
- IB English IV (Mrs. Peteranecz) - The SAT Vocabulary List 2 Quiz is today.
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
- Nomenclature--be able to draw structures from a given name/be able to name given structures
- Homologous series: general formulas for alkanes/alkenes/alkynes
- Substituent groups--alkyls
- Saturated vs. Unsaturated
- Functional Groups: alcohol, halogens (fluoro, bromo, chloro, iodo), aldehyde, ester, ketone, amide, amine
- Cyclic Molecules
- Resonance Structure
- Physical/chemical characteristics of hydrocarbons
- Combustion (refer to info sheet)
From the video clip:
- What are hydrocarbons used for?
- Fractional distillation
- Catalytic cracking
- What role do boiling points play in separating the products?
- How are hydrocarbon chains relevant?
- What is the 'octane number' based on?
- Why does higher octane gasoline cost more?
Monday, September 13, 2010
Sunday, September 12, 2010
- IB Biology IV (Mrs. Bidwell) - The Blood Pressure Lab is due.
- Theory of Knowledge (Mr. Butcher) - The writing prompt on the difference between knowledge, truth, and belief is due.
- IB English (Mrs. Peteranecz) - There is a quiz on SAT Vocabulary List 1.
- IB History of the Americas (Mr. Jones) - There is a quiz on The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Gaddis.
- IB English (Mrs. Peteranecz) - Write 10 sentences with ten of the vocabulary words from SAT Vocabulary List 2--remember to use context clues in the sentence.
- Theory of Knowledge (Mr. Butcher) - There is a quiz on basic terms and vocabulary, as reviewed on Monday. It is matching format, with ten terms to be matched with ten definitions.
- IB Chemistry (Mrs. Atkins) - There is a quiz on organic nomenclature and combustion reactions. The Organic Nomenclature Worksheet 2 is also due.
- IB Spanish IV (Señor Alemañy) - There is a vocabulary quiz on "La Naturaleza y Los Desastres, " the list given out last Friday.
- IB Chemistry (Mrs. Atkins) - The Organic Models Lab is due: include a purpose, theory section (discuss bond angles, hydrocarbons, functional groups), include the chart as the procedure, and answer the questions on the handout. Include at least three of the simpler molecules (A-H) and three of the more complex molecules that she added to the lab.
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Monday, September 6, 2010
- IB Chemistry (Mrs. Atkins) - The "Finding the Volume of a Drop" design lab is due. Don't forget to refer to the IB design lab criteria.
- IB English IV (Mrs. Peteranecz) - There is a test on literary devices.
- IB Further Math (Mr. Bobbitt) - There is a test on Sections A and B of Topic 8.
- IB History of the Americas (Mr. Jones) - There is a quiz on Don't Be Afraid Gringo.
- IB Biology IV (Mrs. Bidwell) - There is a test on H2, H3, H4. Assessment statements are also due.